Zendaya calls out E! Host Giuliana Rancic on her racist remark about her dreadlocks at the Oscars


Photo by Radar Online



 One of the biggest nights in Hollywood is the Oscars. Everyone is in their best attire.Just like every year people love to know what their favorite celebrities are wearing. One of most highest rated shows for red carpets is E!’s Fashion Police. 

 Fashion Police is a show that gets 1 million viewers each week .It is a show of panelists who comment and discuss the do’s and don’ts of celebrity fashion at events.The hosts include Joan Rivers, Giuliana Rancic and Kelly Osbourne. 

   E!news and Fashion Police Host,  Giuliana Rancic had some words to say about Zendaya Coleman. Actress and Singer Zendaya was dressed in an ivory Vivienne Westwood gown. But that was not what people were talking about. The big deal was that Rancic had criticized Zendaya about her appearance. 

  On Monday’s night show, Rancic had said some harsh words that didn't come out as well as she thought. She had made a joke about Zendaya’s hair being done in dreadlocks. Rancic’s joke was not funny to many people. 

     “I feel that she smells like patchouli oil...or weed,” said Rancic about Zendaya’s dreadlocks. “ Yeah, maybe weed.” 

Many people on social media had a lot to say and disagreed with Rancic’s comment as well as Zendaya herself. Rancic made a heartfelt video message to Zendaya apologizing for what had happened. 

     “I want to apologize for a comment that I made on last night’s ‘Fashion Police’ about Zendaya’s hair. As you know ‘Fashion Police’ is a show that pokes fun at celebrities in good spirit. I understand that something I said last night did cross the line. I just want everyone to know I didn’t intend to hurt anybody. But I’ve learned that it is not my intent that matters, it’s the result. And the result is people are offended, including Zendaya, and that is not OK. Therefore, I want to say to Zendaya and anyone else out there that I have hurt, that I am so, so sincerely sorry. This really has been a learning experience for me. I have learned a lot today. And this incident has taught me to be a lot more aware of clichés and stereotypes, how much damage they can do and that I am responsible, as we all are, to not perpetuate them further.”

Zendaya accepted Rancic's apology and shared a post on Twitter and Instagram about the situation that went down.

     " Giuliana, I appreaciate your apology and I'm glad it was a learning experience for you and for the network", she wrote. " I hope that others negatively affected by her words can also find it in their hearts to accept her apology as well."


Photo from Zendaya's Instagram 

Kelly Osbourne, who co-hosts alongside Rancic felt that what she said was wrong and didn't feel that she should be in a situation like this. 

     “I will not be dragged into this. The situation is being rectified like adults by both parties. I hope you can leave it to the them and do the same”,said Osbourne on her twitter. “ You guys do realize that Zendaya is my friend right ”. She even questioned about her stay on the show. 

     “I did not make the weed comment. I do not condone racism so as a result of this I'm seriously questioning staying on the show”,said Osbourne. This was big news as Osbourne has been on the show since the beginning.  “Im giving everyone involved 24 hours to make it right or the world will hear how i really feel. contactually I'm not allowed to speak”. 

Days later Osbourne announced her departure from the show. “I am so grateful for the experience. Working with Joan Rivers for five years was incredible. I learned so much and … I’m excited for my future now. I want to try a new thing.”

Even comedian , Kathy Griffin addressed, "I Wouldn't Have Said the Joke" that Rancic said about Zendaya's dreadlocks. 


Ever since , Host Joan River’s death the show has never been the same. With the new host Kathy Griffin who only stayed for six episodes also quit. The show has had to make a choice and put the show on hiatus till September 2015 to find new panelists and a new direction.

Comments